Friday, September 3, 2010

DAY 48

Today I am grateful for: a surprising outcome



I headed out to Coney Island yesterday with high hopes of great photo opportunities. Sadly I timed my arrival all wrong and got there at 12noon - when it was 37degrees, no shade anywhere and harsh shadows everywhere. I wandered around getting sunburned for 2 hours then tried to snap off some shots, but didn't expect anything more than mediocre.

As a photographer I am always chasing that feeling I get when I know I have caught something amazing on camera. I got the feeling when I snapped the Day 43 and Day 45 shots and just chase that feeling every time I pick up the camera.

When flicking through the photos to choose something for today's blog I was surprised to find the above pic. With some quick editing it has become one of those photos, and I got that feeling. It seems to just capture the essence of Coney Island on a hot summers day. It won't be the carnival rides, or the hot dogs, or the crowds that I remember - it will be the beach. The hot, sandy, dry, noisy, sticky beach.

I'm grateful that I can still surprise myself occasionally.

_____________

Today I say goodbye to my bff Rowan for who knows how long. The thing about travel is that it is full of hello's and goodbye's, and that is the nature of life I suppose. Doesn't make it any easier though.

I know I talked about Rowan in my Day 40 post but I realised something about our friendship when I was walking home last night and though it was blog-worthy. I think one of the reasons I love Rowan (in a purely plutonic way) is that he completely and utterly believes that I am much smarter and more capable than I can ever believe myself to be. What an outstanding quality to have in a friend. Rowan knows that I think he is amazing so I guess the feeling is mutual.

It's a strange day today - with goodbye to Rowan and a much anticipated hello to my sister (Alison), bro-in-law (Danny - who I saw in Australia before I left) and oldest nephews (Jamin & Kael). The last time I saw Alison and the boys was 4 months ago - with our teary and heart-wrenching goodbyes. I can't wait to get a big jumpy-squeezy cuddle from Jamin, a wary and guarded smile from Kael and the biggest sisterly hug ever imagined from Alison.

_____

Day 48 in review

More Coney Island


The US Open. Rodick v Tipsarevic


Times Square at midnight (looks the same as any other time!)

1 comment:

Selena said...

Looks like a postcard pic Linda. Does look hot!