Thursday, September 16, 2010

DAY 62

Today I am grateful for: dinner for 20...


What an amazing day. Just an hour ago I was sitting at a dinner table with 20 other people, most of them related to me in some way or another, the rest of them being some of the nicest people you could ever meet. We are here in Vancouver, Canada for my second cousins wedding on Saturday.

The Moes family (my dad's side) is pretty much split between Australia and Canada amongst my grandfathers siblings. I think from memory there were 9 kids (I know - 9 kids!! Obviously not a lot on TV those years!!) - 3 of whom immigrated to Australia (from Holland) after the war, and 6 immigrated to Canada.

I love it that family are the same throughout the world - well the Moes family is anyway. We all sit at the dinner table together, make jokes, talk LOUDLY over each other and make fun at one another's expense (in love of course!).

I am really looking forward to the next couple of days here. There is nothing like being instantly accepted into a family that reminds me so much of my own.

I am grateful for family - near and far-away. Old and new. The same and yet so different.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Canada. Ooh ooh, I just remembered what I want you to bring me back Linda - Maple Syrup! yum. Pleeaasse..... ;-)

Anonymous said...

wishing we were there! M,D,A,J,C & H Moes :)

Anonymous said...

We love your writing Linda, and it is an amazing family to put up with all you Aussies!! Enjoy!
Love Sue and LIndsay