Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A mother is...

DAY 2


A mother is only as healthy as her sickest child, and only as happy as her saddest child". Author Unknown.

I came across this quote today and it rattled around in my head for the rest of the afternoon. It got me thinking about my own mother, as I can only imagine the responsibility that comes with motherhood (I don't think naughty cat ownership counts). It seems that your own emotions get tied up with those of your children, to the extent that their happiness is yours, their sadness is yours, their pain is yours just as their joy is yours.

I wonder how much of my mothers happiness was sucked away by me over the years - hopefully not much. I seem to remember being somewhat of an even tempered child (I hope) - happy to sit in the corner eating whatever was on hand rather than making trouble. I am sure in the torrid teenage years there was some sadness passed from daughter to mother though - I was always a sucker for a 'bad boy' - the ones I wouldn't bring home to meet dad. They broke my heart without blinking. Oh the poetry I composed full of teenage angst and soulful looks.....

So I guess this post is a tribute to my mother, and all the other mothers. Whose children wander around the world carrying part of your heart - no wonder you cannot be happy when they are not, or be well when they are hurting - for you are part of each other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda
I'm sure you gave your mum immense joy ,just like my kids do for me :)all the sickness and sadness is worth it :)
Katrina

Sue Moes said...

I consider it a blessing and a privilege to have you as a daughter Linny (and I'm very glad you didn't end up with one of the bad boys!)

Anonymous said...

Amen Linda, you've done it again! We Mums think that losing a bit of our hearts is so worth it because the JOY comes back in bucket loads!JP