Thursday, January 13, 2011

And the rivers raged down the streets

DAY 58



What a week.
Something unprecedented took place in Toowoomba town on Monday – a city atop a hill flooded. 5 inches of rain fell within 30minutes, turning our street into rivers, and our rivers in to raging torrents.

Dubbed an inland tsunami, a flash flood of murky brown water engulfed our CBD within minutes: tossing around cars like playthings, ruining anything in its path.

I was at work in our CBD office when it happened. While our office stayed high and dry, sadly our church office and auditorium (located just across the road) was severely ruined by the flood.

I watched as local workers waded in to dangerous waters to rescue people from trapped cars. I watched as strangers comforted each other as they surveyed the devastation. I watched my friends and co-workers struggle against the waters to safety just 3metres across the road from me – while I was trapped, unable to help until the river that was the road subsided enough to be waded across.

I have realized that situations such as these give an opportunity for everyday heroes to emerge. Fathers and brothers, sisters and mothers put aside fear to do what needs to be done and more. Facing danger, they do extra-ordinary things for strangers and friends alike.

I will never forget this week.

  • The incredible destructive power of water.
  • The ability of the human spirit to continue even when broken.
  • The strength found in friends when faced with fear and loss.
  • The power of prayer.
  • The joy in a community who works together to rebuild and comfort.

Queensland continues to be engulfed in devastating floods. Down the range from Toowoomba the town of Grantham has been completely demolished by a wall of water that swept through on Monday night. Entire houses swept away with families still inside. Across Queensland floodwaters continue to rise, devastating entire suburbs and towns in their path.

Every Queenslander will have a story to tell of January 2011. I count myself blessed to find myself safe, dry and untouched by the water in the aftermath. So many more have lost so much more, losing all possessions and even loved ones in this unprecedented weather event.

I am one of the lucky ones. I thank God for our safety. I offer prayers for those who have suffered and continue to suffer.

For some amazing video showing what happened, watch these clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HLvwPmles




1 comment:

Unknown said...

It has been an amazing week. I'm glad you are ok. We are witnessing the effects of all the water down here in Brisbane. Definitely one week/month that won't be forgotten.