Saturday, August 28, 2010

DAY 43

Today I am grateful for: Perspective


Day 43 was another jam-packed, non-stop New York day - so busy in fact that I am just getting the chance to sit down and write now - at 10am the following morning. I was out and about from 9am to 2am yesterday - now that is what I call a holiday!

The absolute highlight of the day, and even the trip so far, was being atop the Empire State Building for sunset. As you can see from the pic, it was one of those magical moments that come around only once a lifetime. Sadly, I was so caught up in fighting the crowds to get the good photos, and navigating through the hundreds of tourists that I forgot to actually look out at the view and take it all in. I am afraid my photographer brain took over and my holiday brain took back seat for a while. I regret missing taking even just a few seconds to 'enjoy' rather than 'record'. If I have learned anything from this trip is that I need to remember to be in the moment occasionally too - I'll work on that today.
______________

For those of you who want more....

Spent some more time in my 'happy place' - Central Park.

River cruise around the Island.

Empire State Building with Rowan.

Dinner at Vapiano (another of Rowan's favourites!). It's an excellent italian place where they make to order.

Icecream for dessert at Sundaes and Cones

We headed out to some Williamsburg bars after dinner. The good news is that I have found where all the men have gone - they are in Williamsburg. The populace here seems to be made up of 20/30 something urban hipster men. Sadly I have it on good authority that they are all commitment phobes, lacking initiative and disposable income. Oh well, it is nice to know that the single men still exist, even in they are not in my immediate surroundings most of the time!

2 comments:

Steve said...

Steve's travelling trip: don't take photographs of anything other than people, instead 'borrow' photos from other people.
PS - Don't forget to say hi when you're in Vancouver!

Selena said...

Glad all is going well. It is so easy to miss special moments while behind a camera.