Friday, August 27, 2010

DAY 42

Today I am grateful for: The best pizza in New York



I'm finding it hard to pick just one thing to be grateful for each day as there is so much happening! I would like to be grateful for the whole day but that is hard to take photos of, so have chosen tonight's dinner to highlight.

Today I am grateful for pizza from Artichoke. This is the best pizza I have ever had in my life - a big call!. It was 'Spinach and Artichoke' and the taste is indescribable. Hands down the best pizza in New York (or so according to Rowan who is a big fan!). I'm training Rowan how to take good photos and I think he is getting the hang of it - good job Row!
__________________

For those of you who are reading my blog to keep up on the travel adventures here is an extended version just for you!

Today turned out to be one of those rare idyllic days that come along and remind you that life is good. The weather was perfect (warm and sunny with a gentle breeze) so I spent most of the day in Central Park. Started off with a 1 hour bike ride around the park - I had the bike for 3 hours but I got too nervous with all the cars around so I returned the bike and opted for foot power instead.

I was walking along with the sun on my face, Rowan's amazing 'New York Mix Tape'** playing on my iphone and I realised I was happy. Not 'happy in general' happy but 'so happy you have a big smile on your face for no apparent reason' happy. I was the happiest I can remember being for such a long time. All was good with the world. I thought to myself that that exact moment would be the moment I wished I could return to when the festival gets crazy-out-of-control in April and all I can do to stay sane is to remember.

Central Park has a little zoo that I had a wander through. It is beautifully laid out and very relaxing. I especially loved meeting the Snow Leopard who lives there. He was lovely. Made me want to give him a squishy cuddle like I do to my cats. That's a Lemur on the bottom right - King Julian from Madagascar....

Headed over to the Museum of Natural History for a couple of hours. This is the museum that the 'Night at the Museum' movies are based on. You might recognise the guy on the left from the movies!

Rowan, Amy (his New York boss) and I grabbed a drink after work and then watched the sunset.

Till tomorrow!


** Rowan's boss, Amy, is a New York native and took great joy in putting together a mix of 25 songs that all refer to New York in the title or lyrics. I had it playing on repeat all day and it was the perfect soundtrack to my perfect day.
The list includes:
  • The girl from New York City, The Beach Boys
  • New York, New York, Bryan Adams
  • The Only living boy in New York, Simon & Garfunkel
  • Englishman in New York, Sting
  • Saturday in the Park, Chicago
  • I Happen to like New York, Judy Garland
  • Autumn in New York, Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald

2 comments:

Alison Smith said...

WoW! what a day lin. I am so glad that you are experiencing LIFE & its putting a big smile on ur face. 6 sleeps til i see u!

Anonymous said...

"Stop him he has scissors and hand cream" King Julian

"Hey dum dum, you better run run, from Atila the hun hun" Rock guy from Night at the museum.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;o)