Thursday, August 19, 2010

DAY 34

Today I am grateful for: being asked



Today's grateful is a little cryptic - simply because I found it a little hard to be grateful today.

Why? Well, embarrassingly enough, I was stood up for a lunch date today with a really nice guy (or so I thought) that I met last weekend. I've never been stood up before and I found it somewhat demoralising. The question mark in my picture is what I was asking myself this afternoon - why? Was it something I said or did? Did he forget? Did he get hit by a bus and lose his short term memory?

All week I've had an inkling that he wasn't going to show but held out hope that maybe he would. Proving my pessimistic self right is not at all satisfying.

Trying to find something to be grateful for out of the situation proved tricky but I realised that no matter what happened, the guy saw something in me that he wanted to get to know
- which prompted his asking in the first place. My self-confidence got a little bit of a boost at that moment.

So that is what I am grateful for - that he asked. I'll ignore the fact that he chose not (or forgot) to follow through. He asked.

Today's 'six words' come thanks to Clare Bowditch: You tell the most beautiful lies.

PS: This isn't a post looking for sympathy or encouragement - it's just a statement about looking for the good when things go wrong.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

And its finding something to be grateful for, in those times that really builds character!!

Joy Argow said...

Nice post Linda. Whatever the case I enjoyed our Deli lunch. Thanks for taking risks and being honest.