Thursday, August 26, 2010

DAY 41

Today I am grateful for: Food amazingness



Today was all about food and culture. After coffee with Rowan and his New York 'Linda equivalent' Amy (haha)around the corner from my hostel I headed in to Times Square (crazy) and then to MOMA - the Museum of Modern Art. Unfortunately as today was a rainy day every tourist in New York headed there as well. It as an amazing place but it lost it's charm on me due to the overwhelming number of people crowded in to the small spaces.

After lunch I walked to Grand Central Station to meet up with the 'Food on Foot' walking tour. This tour was a great experience and I loved every minute. The group of 35 headed out to Queen's to experience the melting pot of cuisines located in that small community. We sampled chinese, japenese, indian, moroccan and some yummo baked goodies. It was a great way to see how New Yorkers live outside Manhattan Island.

I was lucky enough to stumble (literally) upon the cupcake bakery, Magnolia, made famous in 'Sex and the City'. I sampled the famous 'Red Velvet' cupcake which is God's own baked good with icing on top. At $2.75 each they were heaven in bite sized pieces. Will hopefully make it back there again soon for a second go at the menu. So inspiring! I will try again at mastering cupcakes when I get home.

So today I am grateful for Food amazingness. Thanks New York - let's see what you help me to be grateful for tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you bring me home one of those red velvet cupcakes please?

Alison Smith said...

yay! that sounds so great. jealous!

Linda Moes said...

Mum there is no way that cupcake is making it back to Australia - i would be forced to gobble it up after 10mins of being near it's amazingness. It could be as addictive as drugs. Dangerous stuff.