Thursday, October 14, 2010

DAY 90

Today I am grateful for: extended family



So this motley looking crew are part of my extended family. My aunty Sandie is my Dad's youngest sister. She is also my inspiration in the kitchen. Think of a busy mother who still manages to produce amazing dinners on the table every night seemingly effortlessly. That is aunty Sandie. It can only hope that one day I will cook with such ease. Must come from putting dinner on the table for 5 hungry guys, day after day, week after week, year after year. All that practice!

Myself, mum and also Alison (plus crew) all have a standing invitation for dinner any time we need it. I love dinners at this table. When all of my four cousins are at home it makes my heart happy to hear them all. The laughter, the jokes, the typical Australian sarcasm, the unsolicited life advice, the prodding about who is in love with which girl, the why are you being such a player? etc etc etc.

I am blessed to have family further than my immediate family nearby. They continue to be an amazing support to mum and I. As we have no husbands, or boyfriends, or easily accessible male siblings around to help us out with manly things, we call on this family from time to time. I know if I call uncle Rodney or one of the boys (they will always be boys to me!) will help with whatever needs doing. And they have power tools. Excellent.

I remember earlier in the year I talked my youngest cousin Craig in to coming over and helping tame my wild garden back in to submission, and he came and helped and didn't complain. That is family love.

I am grateful for extended family. For the ones who love you for so much more than just sharing a last name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Smile uncle rodney:) Eye contact Auntie Sandie :) LOL

I read this and was again was a little jealous that you guys all live so close cos it makes you close in many ways. what a blessing they are to you! But then again family is family and when we are all together it feels the same right?!

Move south Toowoomba!!! ((Hugs)) Sheen xxx