Thursday, November 25, 2010

Is the love of books genetic?

DAY 25



I was just going through my photos from over the weekend and smiled when I came across these two pics of my nieces happily reading new books that my mum got from the Op Shop for them. It reminded me of the many, many, many happy hours I have spent with my nose buried in a book.

For as long as I can remember books have been a constant friend. As a kid mum would read a story to us every night before bed - with many fights developing between Alison and myself over who got to choose until mum devised a clever alternating schedule with her choosing on Sunday night! Both Alison and I count 'Go Dog Go' as one of our favourites.

It seems that most children love books and stories but the love seems to steadily decrease every year they are in school, and by the time they hit high school the only reading they do is study, not pleasure. That is sad. Books were a great way to discover that I was not the only one going through puberty in such an awkward way.

I recently read some teen 'vampire' books and they made me smile - books where describing a kiss can take a whole page, and a breakup can take a whole chapter. Ah life is so much simpler in high school - more drama but less to lose in the game of life.

I hope that Ava and Eden keep on with their love affair with books. As Aunty it is my duty to ensure they keep up the literary traditions of our family.

Speaking of reading - I just started this last night and it is great!

No comments: