Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The first Christmas party

DAY 24


The season has begun, although the stores have been right in to Christmas for the last month already. I feel like it is nearly time for me to join the Christmas bandwagon.

Truthfully, for the last couple of years I have not been a fan of all the Christmas hoopla. It has tended to be a reminder of the things that were missing in my life. With no father, husband or children of my own, the season has felt a little empty, like a birthday cake without candles.

This year is going to be different. I am going to try the 'if you can't beat them, join them' approach to traditions. Come December I will deck my house with a Christmas tree (which the cats will delight in climbing daily) and maybe even a wreath on the front door. I will remember the things in my life I am grateful for, rather than lamenting the absences. I will celebrate Jesus' birthday and I will rejoice in the safe passage of another year.

Last night I had a great time celebrating another year with the technology team from church. The wood-fired pizzas were a highlight. I wish I could have one of those ovens on my back deck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Linda! I already have the indoor decorations up but jj says its too early for the outdoor ones I think he's hoping he'll get away without putting then up. Have I got a surprise for Him!See you next week Love Aunty Jane