Monday, December 20, 2010

Can't talk, must read....

DAY 42



I have come across the best books of 2010 - The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

I read book 1 and 2 about 2 weeks ago and couldn't put them down once I started. If I was the type I would have taken a sick day to keep on reading!

Basic story line is..... set in the future where a totalitarian government rules the world with an iron fist. Every year each of the 12 districts must send two teenagers to the 'Hunger Games - a gladitorial like contest of wits and strength to the death - to remind the people that the government controls their lives.

Katniss volunteers for the games in the place of her younger sister. Book 1 follows Katniss as she heads to the Capitol and then to the arena for the games.

I read an interview with the author and she said that she came up with the concept by watching TV one night. On one channel was a 'Survivor' like show with teenage contestants competing for a cash prize, and on the other channel was young men and women marching off to fight the war in Iraq. She wondered what would happen if both were combined - and the Hunger Games were born.

These are awesome stories. Do yourself a favour and get your hands on all 3 book at once - as you won't be able to survive if you have to wait between books!

I've got to go - I just picked up book 3 from the library and it is calling my name....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Book 3 is calling my name next!

Alison Smith said...

i have book 3 here waiting but am 123rd in line for book 2. doh! at least with a bit of gap my children may actually see me :)