Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Excuse me, but I think my insecurities are showing...

DAY 66



Just got home from another first date. On the long drive home from Brisbane I had some pondering time. Never a good thing.

I realised that I have walked away from my last couple of first dates with a twinge of regret.
'For what' you ask.
'For the stupid things I uttered' I say.

It's true.
In recent dates I have said some truly dumb things.

I think I can trace this problem back to it's source.
I have been on so many first dates and have come away with disappointment - so now I no longer hold any expectations of the guy I am meeting.
If he turns up things are off to a great start.

With my new 'no expectations' outlook I have lost the nervousness that comes with a first date. Why get nervous about something that will probably end badly, embarrassingly or awkwardly?

Since I no longer feel nervous, my traditional conversation/response filtering has been lost.
I've stopped checking my answers in my head before I open my mouth.

This here is where the cracks start to show in my carefully crafted exterior.

Flicking back through our conversations today I can only cringe at some of the answers that crossed my lips.

Can I claim temporary insanity?
Maybe I was distracted by a shiny object?
Why, oh why, oh why!

Someone take away my dating license before I hurt myself or others irreparably.

Maybe I need a bring a chaperone with me.
Someone who can vet my responses before I answer.
That wouldn't be weird - would it?
:)

3 comments:

Selena said...

Come on Linda - you can't leave us hanging - spill!! Tell us some things you said - it's great blog material!!

Aussiejoy said...

Yeah do it!!!

Anonymous said...

OK Linda, I will take away your dating licence. Dating is ridiculous concept anyway. It is like going to an audition. If Mr Potential crosses your path, rather than eating and talking, go out and do something productive together, like work in your and your mum's garden, help a needy friend, mop out the church foyer(!) Having other people around you who you know will help you be yourself and keep your foot on the ground rather than in your mouth. Haven't you heard of the soup kitchens where volunteers have to be single? Clever concept. Have a fun weekend with the family! DM :)